Sunday, September 6, 2009

Introductory Letter to Kathleen Sand (EDUC 422-05)

My name is Kathleen Sand and I live in Poway with my husband, daughter who attends UCSD, and our two cats. I was born in Dubuque, Iowa, and attended K-8 elementary and high school there. I've attended colleges and universities in Iowa, Minnesota, California and Wisconsin. I received a BA in Music from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and recently received an MM in Music from Silver Lake College in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. I have also taken certification courses in both Orff and Kodaly methodologies as well as in children's choral music.

My experience with technology is limited to email, searching the Internet with Mozilla Firefox, using word processing applications [Microsoft Office 2003 on a Dell laptop PC], and working with Finale 2008 for music software applications. In the music teaching positions I've held, I was lucky to have access to an overhead transparency projector and a xerox copy machine. In recent substitute teaching, I've used a Mac on a very limited basis, following specific instructions for a specific use. I love how the doc cams, computers, DVD's and CD's, and computer blackboard applications can all be integrated in the classroom, but don't have a clue as to how to accomplish that. I hope to become a bit more conversant and facile with at least some of these applications this semester. I am a PC person by access and experience, and would describe myself as technologically challenged (perhaps in some part due to the fact that I am a PC person and not a MAC person).

I believe that educational equity and collaborative learning can transform public education and our social systems to become havens of social justice for all. This sentiment in the CSUSM mission statement attracted me to this teaching credential program. As for life-long learning, we all need to KEEP ON GOING!

6 comments:

  1. Your last line...KEEP ON GOING...reminds me of the movie Meet the Robinsons. A line in that movie that I love is "keep moving forward." It's so true that we all need to keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen! Its great that you have such a passion for music, I'm pretty sure I am completely tone deaf (My boyfriend would agree). I am also a PC user for now, but whenever I use a Mac I feel more confused even though I think if you understand them they are much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Kathleen!!


    Where in Poway do you live? I grew up in poway and actually just bought some horse property there!!
    Jamie Sweat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kathleen!

    It dosen't matter if you are technologically challenged right now, we will all be completely computer literate by the end of the semester and you did a great job on making your blog! It looks good! :)
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathleen! I think that is really great that you pursued your love for music along with your education! So many people give up their passions for getting an education.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathleen!
    I have been working in a high school for the past four years and I will admit that the Xerox machines that the school has are fairly complicated. I give you kudos for being confident enough to use one. It took me over three years to feel confident enough to use one myself. Take it from me, practice helps! The more times you use technology, the more you will feel confident with using it.

    ReplyDelete